24 September 2006

What Feminism as a Movement Can Do

I wrote this in response to a question on livejournal about why I chose to be a feminist. All women are not feminists by nature, and I think to say so would be anti-feminist. It's a choice, a banner, an outcry of hope and courage to which a person aspires by exercising the will and voice they received and cultivated. I do believe any person can be a feminist even if they can't rattle off quotes from The Feminist Mystique or Ain't I a Woman, even if they choose stay-at-home motherhood or fatherhood or if they select a childfree lifestyle. Feminism is just that -- a lifestyle, a life choice -- and not solely characterized by intellectualism and protests. It's as inherent as morality and individualism are purported to be. Feminist thinking extends what it means to be human.

...I do believe in feminism. I think society is fucked up and has fucked up too many people. I don't think the goal of feminism is to be like men; our patriarchal society has pulled enough of that shit already. Women do not exist to be like men or for men. Women exist to be women -- leading full, healthy, positive and fulfilling lives. But as long as there's this urge to compete and this sense that domination is the only key to peace (which time and time again is proven untrue for everyone and by everyone), I think feminism holds the key to exploring better alternatives and creating healthier and happier people. Because women are capable of doing that and tons more.


(The same can be said for nearly any progressive movement, which is why I believe all of them should work cooperatively and share experiences -- but that's another entry.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home