17 October 2006

Race Changers Challenge #2 (this is easier to think about)

Race Changers Challenge #2:

We have all made generalizations at one point or another. This is natural considering the number of stereotypes we have to filter on a daily basis, and given that we have all been trained to make generalizations and subscribe to stereotypes from a very young age.

Reflect by answering the following questions in writing:

  • Was there a time that you made a generalization and were proved wrong?
  • Do you find yourself subscribing to any stereotypes now?
  • If you do find yourself giving in to any stereotypes, why do you think you believe them to be true?
  • Can you point to any instances where the stereotype does not hold true?

Generalized and Wrong:
Hmm...my generalizations center around whether or not to trust white people. Sometimes I think a white person's a total bigot from the jokes they make or the way they dress. I've met people who have debunked that assumption personally, but it took me a while to understand them. I generally think all conservatives are repressed racists/sexists, but they only keep up political correctness to appear human. However, I have friends who identify as conservatives and are nothing like my assumptions. Some of them are even my best friends. Political leanings just may not be a great judge of a person's character. You can't judge the book by its cover, pretty much...


Stereotypes To Which I Subscribe:
White food servers are fake nice and they think no one can tell it.
Groups of people in general are unreliable and can't be trusted; individual thoughts inevitably cause fractures in the unity.
Biracial Asian-Caucasian couples/children have it much easier than most other biracial combinations.
White gay males are often misguided about exactly how oppression works and why it matters.
When people are online, they completely lose the ability to argue rationally. (Hell, that even applies offline.)
Cats are cute no matter what and are always cuter than dogs.
Unless they're in chili or black bean sauce, beans are nasty as hell.
Most professors do not grade with neutrality.
Most white people want to be around people that agree with them or listen to them unequivocally. However, there's often no mutuality of agreement or indication they listen in return.

Why I Think Some Stereotypes Are True:
This question is a trap! A trap I say!
Stereotypes make thinking about others easier. It's much easier to expect the worst and be proved completely wrong than to walk in vulnerable and allow things to blindside you. I think stereotypes are a defense tactic, and while they pretend to have intelligent roots, they do nothing but quell irrational fears of unacceptance and danger in unfamiliar surroundings. They're opiates that prevent engagement.

Stereotypes Do Not Hold True When:
  • uttered about another group by a group that has expressed open hostilities about them in the past (*ahem*)
  • when the claims are trivial/unmeasurable ("white men can't jump;" "black men are more aggressive")
  • when the sample size is ridiculously huge (see examples under "trivial/unmeasurable")
  • when the person advancing a stereotype has to make constant "exceptions" for people who exhibit characteristic A but don't execute behavior B
  • when the stereotype enters taboo status ("Hehe, this may be weird, and it's probably wrong, but: do black men REALLY have bigger...you know?!")
  • piggybacking on that: when the people perpetuating the stereotype can't plainly say the details of it

Yeah, this entry contains a lot of hypocritical identifications, but...well, it's honest. Shit.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really like this piece(I found your blog through the lj feminist_101 community, by the way; I was looking through the community to see if I wanted to join). I thought I read somewhere that stereotypes are a way for our brains to "categorize" people and situations in an efficient manner-good for our brains, bad for creating social change. I, too, have a activist blog-but mine's just started and it's rather dull.

Thu Oct 19, 04:40:00 PM  
Blogger Sylvia said...

Thanks. I'll check our your blog. I'm just starting out too, and I know how much having a little support can help. :)

Sat Oct 21, 01:55:00 PM  
Blogger Abadiebitch said...

Do you have another paddle, because I am the same boat with you here.

White food servers are fake nice and they think no one can tell it.

I agree, but I don't they care if people think they are fake or not.

Groups of people in general are unreliable and can't be trusted; individual thoughts inevitably cause fractures in the unity.

I believe the same. I call it white people conformity, the essence of whiteness, How to be white?---comply.

Biracial Asian-Caucasian couples/children have it much easier than most other biracial combinations.

No doubt. I even think they are seen by many as superior.

White gay males are often misguided about exactly how oppression works and why it matters.

Yeah, perfect example the gay guy on FireDogLake who criticized Liza of culture kitchen.'

When people are online, they completely lose the ability to argue rationally. (Hell, that even applies offline.)

True. It is like, what part of rational don't you [one] understand.

Cats are cute no matter what and are always cuter than dogs.

And usually smell better too.

Unless they're in chili or black bean sauce, beans are nasty as hell.

Okay, now I like many beans. It was our staple food growing up.

Most professors do not grade with neutrality.

Agree. And I am usually graded very well. But I see people who do not deserve good grades get them.

Most white people want to be around people that agree with them or listen to them unequivocally. However, there's often no mutuality of agreement or indication they listen in return.

Agree, see the conformity comment above. White is conformity, conformity is the essence of whitenss.

Tue Oct 24, 05:15:00 PM  
Blogger Sylvia said...

My daddy cooked every type of bean he could access (but mainly northern beans) to flat out nasty looking mush, and I haven't been keen on them since. If I don't know what they are, I'll eat 'em; but all beans are not created equal.

Tue Oct 24, 08:41:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home